25 July 2006

MySpace Sucks



I don't like MySpace for the following reasons:

  • It's difficult to use, stuff just isn't laid out very well

  • It's full of annoying adverts

  • It's frequently broken or not working properly. It's just badly coded

  • It's ugly, and customised profiles look even worse most of the time

  • There isn't much functionality, for example; customising the appearance of your profile is essentially a hack, you have to use 3rd party tools to embed css in your description

  • It's full of annoying teenagers anyway, and has little useful content

So why is it so popular? I admit, I have a profile, I guess the answer is that it was the first. It now has so much weight behind it that I guess it's here to stay.

Personally I preferred the old days of the internet where the world only heard your opinion if you were prepared to learn HTML. This automatic entry test screened out some of the muppets who now use MySpace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but you must not have seen some fine webspaces in Myspace. For example, you obviously haven't seen the information in the Acidophilus myspace site:

http://www.myspace.com/_reyner

See? It's not all bad.

Anonymous said...

I like the line about HTML being an entry test - very true.

Alun said...

Good points, Scuff. Although I think the HTML-entry-test thing was rather unfair - why should the internet be refuge of geeks who have the patience to faff around with something as clunky as HTML?

Unknown said...

Josh - there is no need for you to plug your 'MySpace' page in these comments, I'll put a link to it right on the front page if you like.

Jason - are you the Jason at work? I can't think of any other Jasons.

Clare - reaching 30 is not a landmark. It's a tragedy.

Dan - looking forward to seeing the blog. I'm not sure how much time you're going to have for posting on it after the arrival of 'junior' though!

Alun - you're right, I think my comment was rather unfair. I like the way anyone can publish on blogger for example, there are many good blogs out there. I think the framework that blogger provides results in well formatted and easy to use blogs. I guess what I'm objecting to is the huge number of terrible MySpace pages that throw sensible design out of the window, resulting in pages I can hardly read - and I don't have impaired vision! I suppose the answer is simple, if you don't like MySpace - don't use it.