27 July 2006

Time Up



So my time in the States has come to an end - this is my last night. I must say, I have enjoyed my stay here, people have been very friendly, there has been plenty to do and hotel living has made life very easy! I'm certainly looking forward to getting back home though, I have missed friends and family (and morris), healthy food and commercial free television. I have also missed out on all this hot weather! It had better not turn cold on my return. I think I have also built an appreciation for the vast history that Britain has. There are hardly any old buidings or landmarks here, and you don't realise how these things provide a sense of identity for British people. I'm waffling - see you all soon!

5 comments:

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Richard, keep in mind that not all of us here drive Big Cars and sip Big Gulps (at least not at the same time!). Most of us hadn't heard about "freedom fries" until the British press alerted us. And we occasionally eat healthy food, too. As for our landmarks, we do have them, but no matter-- that's why we love Britain! Your history is our history. Next time, visit Texas (it's been a loooong time) & bring your wife with you.

Unknown said...

Well when I mentioned health food, it's mainly because I have to eat out for every meal. It's difficult to choose salad from the menu, when there is steak! And you're right, there are land marks and there are a number of impressive buildings in Pittsburgh. I guess the difference is, that America is so big, that these landmarks are quite widely spaced. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd taken the rich history that is all around Britain for granted.

Anyway, that aside, I would love to come and visit you in Texas!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's easy to take for granted the wonders of spectacular scenery when you live with it all the time. I'll never forget the ecstasy of our first year in England. I just couldn't believe our good fortune. And, absolutely, our door is always open!

Alun said...

Sorry, Scuffy, the heatwave's breaking this weekend :(